Thursday, December 24, 2009

LIVE LIKE OCTOPUSSY

You have not experience service until you come to India. Everything that you have had before pales in comparison, I thought I had an excellent level of service in Jamaica, but it's nothing compared to this...I mean someone who follows you all the time in a hotel just to make sure you do not trip on the steps, that kind of care!
It is almost a week since we've been in India and I am happy to report that our bowels have not at all rebelled in any way, the food seems to absolutely agree with our stomachs and certainly with our palate. The variety of dishes is unbelievable and one more delicious than the other, whether meat or vegetarian. This morning, at breakfast, I was even talked into trying some concoction of carrot and beet juice and everyone who knows me knows my complete and utter aversion to beets! At this point everything is so freaking perfect that Peaches and I are tempted to try and live dangerously: brush our teeth with tap water...try a salad ( actually this we already did because in Ranthambore we had probably the best fresh arugula I've ever had)...eat from a street vendor....leave home our Purell,.. touch an Untouchable...something like that!
Tonight we had dinner, and what a dinner... at the Lake Palace in the middle of Lake Pichola in Udaipur, the setting for James Bond's "Octopussy",,,remember when he gets into the fake crocodile in his tux and he crosses the lake to go and surprise Maud Adams in her secluded palace...well it certainly exceeded expectations, both the dinner and the visit to Octopussy's lair, unbelievably beautiful and they make you feel treated like a Maharani!
I have not mentioned that we are staying in another palace: Devi Garh, somewhat of a fortress perched on a hill and one of the most exquisite hotels I have ever been to ( shades of Castello del Nero!). One thing that Devi Garh does not lack is marble, this area is full of it and they make good use of it in the palaces. Our bed is actually a big slab of Carrara -white marble with a mattress on it!
Udaipur, the white city...with all this whilte marble, easy to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment