Saturday, December 26, 2009

Pink Is the Navy Blue of India


Ok I did see a snake today…it was a cobra in a basket at the Amber Palace in Jaipur. I tried to stay as far as possible from it while Peaches was happily taking pictures of it. Altogether a non-event….

We shopped for teas and spices today while yesterday Peaches found the sari for the wedding in Bangalore that she needed, it’s peacock blue and very beautiful. I, on the other hand, decided to go for a kurta tunic with pants in pink with beads and little mirrors, I know it sounds hideous and gaudy, but I swear it isn’t and it is one of those things that will be great to wear in the summers and in Jamaica. One cannot come to India and not buy something pink!

Jaipur is the Pink City, beautiful and interesting. It has an ancient capital, Amber, with a fort that you reach on an elephant and the maharajah’s palace in the old city with also great history and wonderful architecture. I got to ride an elephant for the first time in my life, not a particularly comfortable ride, but certainly a fun one!

At our hotel we made friends with a lovely Southern American couple from Atlanta, Michael and Bo-peep, yes, you read correctly, her name, or at least the one she goes by, really is Bo-peep! They are absolutely adorable in a very Southern, charming sort of way, they have been everywhere and they obviously love to live well and have fun. We exchanged addresses and emails and promised to see each other again ,which is something I definitely see happening.

Tomorrow I hope it will be the last of our really early morning rises, we need to get to Bangalore in time for the Mehendi ceremony, so we’ll try and sleep some on the 3 hour flight and maybe catch up later but I still think a 6.00 am flight is totally uncivilized!

No comments:

Post a Comment