Friday, January 1, 2010

AYURVEDIC BLISS

It's official, I feel like some kind of food! After arriving at The Leela in Kovalam ( Kerala) Peaches and I decided that these four days were going to be dedicated to improve our sleep deprived selves...so we booked yoga sessions and ayurvedic treatments at the Center in the hotel which is supposed to be the best in the region.
The yoga is great except for the fact that we do it around sunset time and therefore we have to cover ourselves in mosquito repellent in order not to be eaten alive. The instructor is a little limber South Indian thing who chants and orders us around in positions that make me feel like a pretzel! Peaches, who is a little yoga maven, knows the actual Indian names of the positions the yoga Nazi calls out, I basically fake it, keep and eye on Peaches and copy.
The ayurvedic treatments are great except they make me feel like food: yesterday I was basted like a turkey in different types of oil that, at one time, were literaly, liberally, dripped on me from my forehead on. I did sleep like a baby though, with no dreams, which the ayurvedic doctor says it's good, on top of declaring that I was made of air and water ( I have no idea if that's good or bad).
The next treatment was a "powder massage" where I was massaged head to toe in something that looked and smelled like the barbecue meat rub from Costco. Properly tenderized I was again rubbed in oil and then given something that looked like pesto in a beautiful brass jar to scrub myself in the shower. Needless to say my hair needed about three shampoos to go back to its usual non-oily state.
I am eagerly awaiting the next two days to see what comes next:Bobo alla Catalana? Aglio, olio e peperoncino? Baked, fried? Who knows......

No comments:

Post a Comment