Saturday, January 2, 2010

Om, Shanti Shanti


Five days in Kerala is the perfect amount of time to get back into yoga, which I practiced three to five times a week in New York over the summer. I have yet to find a place in LA that I really like, so my yogic habits have lapsed a bit, but I'm always happy to see that it's just like riding a bicycle. After a day or two, I was doing headstands once again (see the photographic evidence.)


Yoga Nazi, a tiny sprite of a woman named Divya, is fond of saying things like, "Breathe deeply, relax compleeeeeeetely...Breathe deeply, relax compleeeeetely...Breathe deeply, relax compleeeeetley. Now stop breathing." It's really hard not to laugh sometimes.


I also happen to love the little ditty she sings for us at the end of class. It goes something like this:
"I relaaaaaaax my toes. I relaaaaaaax my heels. I relaaaaaax my calf muscles...ankles...thigh muscles. I relaaaaaax my buttock muscles...hip region...pelvic area. I relaaaaaax my kidneys....liver (except when she says it, it sounds like "lih-where.") I can't quite do it justice with the written word, since you can't hear my bad impression of her accent, but you get the picture.






No comments:

Post a Comment