Monday, January 4, 2010

The Power to Stop Time

This morning, we were awakened by a phone call from our hotel front desk informing us that our taxi to the airport had arrived. I had set an alarm for 8:00 a.m. and it had yet to go off, so I was more than slightly confused. The call startled me from a deep sleep, and since the room has massive, light-blocking wooden shutters, you can’t exactly blame me from being a little chronologically disoriented. My confusion was further complicated by the fact that when I looked at my iPhone, it read 3:10 a.m. Curious, indeed. I then looked at my wristwatch for confirmation: it read 2:45 a.m. (I had set it to local time upon arriving in India.)

“What time is it?” Bobo inquired.
“Well, my phone says 3:10 a.m. and my watch says it’s a quarter to three. It definitely feels like we slept more than three hours, though.”

Perplexed, I went to the bathroom--which is partially outdoors--because I had to pee and also to see if it was light out.

“Well, it’s definitely not three in the morning,” I confirmed upon my return.
“Call the front desk and ask what time it is!” Bobo directed, a slight hint of panic in her voice. We had a flight to catch, after all.

Upon confirming that it was, in fact, 8:45 a.m. and that our taxi was, in fact, waiting for us, we shifted into fifth, got dressed, brushed our teeth, zipped up our luggage and moved out at top speed. I still have no idea why my iPhone--which sets time based on GPS--would somehow reset itself to another time zone while I slept. My wristwatch stopping made even less sense; As soon as I stood up I realized it was working just fine. Just as I was beginning to formulate theories in my head about my X-Men-like mutant abilities to bend time, I realized that perhaps I had been just a wee bit disoriented when looking at my wrist, and perhaps I had misread it, and perhaps it did actually say 8:45 and not 2:45. Damn you, early morning dyslexia.

Of course, the ability to bend time would only really come in handy if one were very good at controlling it. If it just caused you to oversleep and miss your flight, it would be no fun at all. Nonetheless, I think it makes perfect sense to come up with a good superhero name for myself at this point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment