Monday, January 4, 2010

I Hate Cows


I knew I hated cows one day when, I was probably nine or ten years old, I was playing hide and seek with other children in a farm near Verona and I jumped from what I thought was a hayloft onto another lower hayloft only to fall through the hay and into a chute that fed directly into the dairy with all the cows. There I was sitting on a pile of hay with cows all around me who were looking none too pleased to see me in the midst of their lunch.

I know cows are usually fairly stupid and placid animals ( if you do not count the bulls in Pamplona), but all these different types we have encountered here in India seem to know exactly that THEY are the ones who are running the country.

They are everywhere and they cross the streets, even the highways, any time they damn please getting traffic to grind to a halt when you’re already trying to avoid the cars who do not seem to know how to keep in their lane or to use an indicator. The cows are the Indian equivalent of New York rats, they are a pest, they forage through garbage, they are everywhere…the only difference is that you can easily run over a rat, while with a cow you get the short end of a stick in an accident.

Any journey in a car in India is significantly made longer and more irritating by the presence of these horned, uncaring, ubiquitous, large moving targets. If the Indians choose not to eat them I move for building large temples devoted to them and therefore keep them in enclosures where people can feed them, worship them, whatever….and don’t even get me started on their large dumps….

No comments:

Post a Comment